Please view the job descriptions by clicking on the Job Title below.
To download an employment application please click here.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:60k to 80k DOE
- Posted Date:02/04/2019
This position is responsible for the day to day operations of City accounting systems and fiscal records within the Finance Department, including accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable, cash and investment management, financial reporting, and asset inventory, as directed by the Accounting Supervisor. The Sr. Accountant accumulates financial data and verifies it for accuracy in preparation for all city accounting processes. This position may provide technical guidance and supervision to other finance department personnel or personnel from other city departments; coordinates payroll with the Human Resources Department.
Reports to the Accounting Supervisor.
Exercises autonomy and sound judgement over accounting, utility billing and other administration as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential and other responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Assists the Accounting Supervisor in preparing the annual budget, annual audit, comprehensive annual finance report and capital improvement plans.
· Assures accurate classification of all financial transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting standards applicable to governmental accounting; implements best practices.
· Processes incoming payments, outgoing payments, payroll, and journal entries.
· Coordinates payroll and personnel benefits with the Human Resources Department.
· Prepares and records adjusting journal entries in compliance with governmental accounting standards; Makes journal entries to balance and close monthly books in general ledger accounts; reconciles general ledger and subsidiary utility accounts; oversees the central computerized financial and management information system of the city as well as the posting and reconciliation of ledgers, accounts, and bank statements.
· Audits petty cash and change funds.
· Prepares various reports for all revenue and expenditure streams.
· Promotes excellent external and internal customer service.
· Provides accounting support to department heads and supervisors.
· Assists in developing strategies to streamline existing work processes. Assists in creating standard operating procedures.
· Assists in rolling out new financial and fiscal programs.
· Makes recommendations for improving accounting systems, methods and techniques.
· Assists the Accounting Supervisor in areas of training, selection, development and evaluation of new and innovative programs.
· Assists the Accounting Supervisor in areas of training, selection, and development
· Other duties as assigned.
· Represent the City at various conferences and meetings.
· Serves as a back-up to the Accounting Supervisor.
· Executes City ordinances relating to utility services.
· Composes, types, and edits a variety of correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other material requiring judgment as to content, accuracy, and completeness.
Education and Experience:
A) Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related field.
B) Or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
A) Fluent in English and Spanish
B) Knowledge of Governmental Accounting practices.
C) Considerable knowledge of modern governmental accounting theory, principles, and practices; considerable knowledge of internal control procedures and management information systems; considerable knowledge of office automation and computerized financial applications; considerable knowledge of public finance and fiscal planning; considerable knowledge of payroll and accounts payable functions; working knowledge of budgetary, accounting and reporting systems, including, but not limited to GAAFR, GAAP and GASB;
D) Four (4) years or more years of progressively responsible related municipal experience; experience in a position in a city or county of comparable size, scope and complexity to the Town of Pecos City.
E) Skill in operating office equipment and computerized accounting systems.
F) Ability to prepare and analyze complex financial reports; ability to maintain efficient and effective financial systems and procedures; ability to effectively supervise staff; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, fellow department heads, city officials and citizens; ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
G) Ability to maintain effective accounting procedures; Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion; Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; Ability to establish successful working relationships with employees and the public; Ability to work under pressure and/or frequent interruptions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
· Knowledge of municipal accounting and auditing including enterprise funds; Considerable knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS); considerable knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
· Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal finance administration including budget preparation.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite; knowledge of accounting, budgeting and reporting software.
· Ability to implement best practices and teach others in the use and application of accounting principles.
· Ability to apply sound administrative and fiscal practices.
· Ability to write clear, concise, yet comprehensive explanatory text to accompany financial reports.
· Ability to present ideas effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective workplace relationships with staff, departments, city officials, vendors and the public.
· Skill in effective, clear, concise and persuasive oral and written communications about the City’s finances to individuals and groups.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Understanding of the City’s political environment and sensitivities; ability to function effectively within that environment.
· Must be able to work under pressure; must be able to work independently with a high degree of accuracy and organize work to meet deadlines; must be able to problem-solve and troubleshoot; analyze situations quickly and accurately and adopt an effective course of action to resolve the issue.
· Must hold and maintain a valid Texas State Driver’s license or obtain one within six months of hire.
· Must be bondable.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer, including word processor, spreadsheets, financial software, 10-key calculator, phone, copy machine, fax machine, etc.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, hear and manipulate objects. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those and employee typically encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is typically quiet.
This is an Exempt position. Work is generally completed on a regularly scheduled basis with the normal workweek being 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, however additional work to meet deadlines or attend evening meetings may be required.
Effective Date: February 4, 2019