Please view the job descriptions by clicking on the Job Title below.
To download an employment application please click here.
Community Engagement Specialist
- Salary/Pay Rate:Grade Number: 5 or 6 DOE
- Posted Date:09/30/2019 8:00 AM
Class Title: Community Engagement Specialist
Department: City Manager’s Office
Grade Number: 5 or 6 DOE
Under general supervision, plans, coordinates and directs the City's communications, public information, marketing and branding for the City of Pecos. In cooperative with City Departments and officials, develops and distributes accurate, timely and accessible public information about the City and its services. Responsible for coordinating responses to public information request and public awareness of City programs; manages internal and external communications for the City.
Reports to the City Manager
Exercises autonomy and sound judgement over work functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates the city’s efforts to develop and disseminate information regarding City programs, services, and other issues. Coordinates media interest in the organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests. Develops ideas for Public Service Announcements and coordinates with staff and contractors to achieve final product.
- Develops novel approaches, methods and designs to positively promote the City's image. Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring success of: a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the City's image and position within the local market and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications: and all organization marketing, communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, media relations, client acquisition and so forth.
- Ensures articulation of City's desired image and position, assures consistent communication of image and position throughout the organization and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Manages coordination and execution of internal and external communications. Manages and coordinates public relations and advertising programs related to the City of Pecos.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all organization publications. Establish production schedules, solve publication problems, and determine theme of issues and articles. Research and write articles, reports, editorials, reviews, and other material as needed.
- Oversees the production of various publications (newsletters, brochures, flyers, invitations, and other outreach materials) and other written communications utilized to promote the departments and the City of Pecos. Develops strategic goals and coordinates and evaluates outcomes of public relation campaigns, social media campaigns, etc.
- Researches, coordinates and develops City’s Annual Report in conjunction with other departments. Researches, compiles and analyzes data for special projects or programs; prepare reports, recommendations and summaries as needed.
- Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the City Manager's Office.
- Works with City staff and officials to develop and coordinate responses to media requests.
- Prepares and edits press releases and serves as Public Information Officer. Serves as City Spokesperson to provide public information and promote public awareness of City programs and events; serves as Emergency Public Information Coordinator during local emergency events.
- Conducts interviews and attends gatherings, to obtain information for publication, verify facts, and clarify information. Serves as representative at conferences and meetings.
- Reviews and evaluates all material submitted for publication and coordinates with graphic designer and printer for execution of final product.
- Serves as a key member of the EOC Team during emergencies and maintains an on-call status for response to City and department emergencies, as needed.
- Supports the departmental operations with regular and timely attendance.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Pecos and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
- Perform other job-related duties as required or directed.
Consistently represent the City at multiple public and private meetings and conferences relating to City business.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or a closely related field is required AND a minimum of three years of increasing responsible experience in the field; public sector experience is preferred.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License or acquire one within six (6) months. Must have a safe driving record.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
- State and federal rules and regulations covering municipal government, including open records, elections, open meetings and Texas Public Information Act.
- Principles, techniques and objectives of marketing, public information, mass communications, social media, media relations and community relations programs.
- Knowledge of principles/practices of public relations; photography, design, layout, and basic printing/composition.
- Knowledge of entire Microsoft Office suite, Adobe software; accounting software; Internet and email software.
- Knowledge of City Policy’s, processes, procedures and services.
- Professional journalistic methods, including research, presentation and publication.
- Current legislative, political and economic trends in state and federal government programs.
- Methods, techniques and equipment used in the production of video projects.
- Local community resources and state and regional community services programs.
- Legal, ethical and professional rules of conduct for municipal government employees.
- Emergency procedures and effective communication during emergency events.
- Coordinating the City's public information programs, projects and operations and developing community relations and communications programs from concept to completion.
- Skill in community relations and social media management including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and programs to manage and track outreach efforts.
- Skill in Adobe CS5- InDesign and Photoshop or similar programs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer, including word processor, spreadsheets, various software packages, 10-key calculator, phone, copy machine, fax machine, etc.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, crawl, talk, hear and manipulate objects. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Work is often performed in an office setting. Outdoor work is required during emergencies, public events, or when gathering information and data. Noise level is usually low to moderate.
The Town of Pecos City provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.