Please view the job descriptions by clicking on the Job Title below.
To download an employment application please click here.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:Grade Number: 5
- Posted Date:09/26/2019
Class Title: Technician
Department: Information Technology Salary Grade: 5
Under general direction of the Information Technology Director, this position assists in supporting all server, storage, network operating systems, email, and data center support; performs complex computer systems analysis; performs desktop, peripheral and application support for all city departments and offices; and assist City staff with hardware, software, and network problems. The work involves performing a variety of complex tasks, and requires independent judgment, discretion, and due diligence in the performance of job duties and responsibilities, as well as sound interpretation of local, state and federal policies and regulations.
Reports to the Information Technology Director
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential and other responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- 1.Maintain and support data center, ensuring all servers are operating correctly and all software/hardware patches are installed.This includes the installation, configuration, maintenance, and upgrades of physical servers, virtual servers, storage area networks, and Network Operating Systems.
- 2.Maintain and support the server infrastructure including Active Directory, DNS and DHCP infrastructure, SQL.
- 3.Assist users encountering computer/software issues by providing guidance in proper usage and/or resolving technical problems.
- 4.Receive phone calls or electronic messages from users having problems using computer software and hardware, or having trouble using specific software such as graphics, database, printing, word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail, and operating systems.
- 5.Assists users with problems by perceptive questioning, using diagnostic software, or listening to procedures followed by users to determine source of problem.
- 6.Assist with the daily operation of information systems, software installation, configuration and installation of all new computer equipment, general computer repair, etc.
- 7.Perform duties associated with setup, configuration, training and installation of system software products and peripherals, including printers, monitors, network devices, and other communications equipment.
- 8.Manage all desktops though client management software to ensure each desktop is operating correctly and all software/hardware patches are installed.
- 9.Assist with deployment of new computers and replacement computers.
- Research and make recommendations for technological improvements and upgrades. Assist Director with technological long-range and short-range planning.
- Provide network support as needed, including repair and installation of network related cabling.
- Provide support for all audio-visual equipment, including set-up for meeting and related events .
- 1.Assist with day-to-day operations such as answering calls and working on various tasks and projects as needed or as assigned.
- 2.Performs all other related duties as assigned, including any special or recurring projects that may be assigned.
- 3.Provide technical support via telephone, remote and/or on-site.
- 4.Ensure availability for periodic after hours and/or on-call duties.
- 5.Carry City issued mobile device(s) to promote timely communication regarding technical support issues.
- 1.Four years of demonstrated experience in Information Technology
- 2.Valid Texas Driver’s License and safe driving record.
- 3.Must be able to pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) Background Check
- Fluent in English and Spanish
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- 1.Willingness to learn new skills, expand current skills and try new tasks.
- 2.Good oral and written communication skills; and the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- 3.Ability to perceptively question users, diagnose and troubleshoot software and hardware problems.
- 4.Ability to simultaneously perform a variety of technical and administrative functions and maintain a quality work product.
- 5.Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- 6.Knowledge of multiple software applications and operating systems, including, but not limited to: Microsoft Desktop and Server Operating Systems, Networking, TCP/IP, Group Policy Management, VMware & Microsoft Office 365.
- 7.Knowledge of multiple hardware components including workstations, servers, mobile devices, printers, scanners, and wireless devices.
- 8.Knowledge of local area and wide area network administration, telephone, and other communications systems support.
- 9.Ability to serve other City departments in a diplomatic and professional manner, exercising good emotional control; must have good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with detailed information for sustained periods of time.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer, including word processor, spreadsheets, financial software, 10-key calculator, phone, copy machine, fax machine, multiple software, etc.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties may require lifting up to 50 pounds and have the use of hands and fingers to perform essential functions of the job, i.e., typing, data entry, using the calculator, and operating other office equipment. Duties may include entering tight spaces which may include dust or other contaminants.
Hours vary and may require work on evenings and weekends, including City Council Meetings and other meetings. Position requires ability to be on-call to address mission critical Information Technology support issues.
Work generally performed in a climate and temperature-controlled building with some exposure to outdoor weather conditions. The physical requirements of the job include the ability to sit, talk, kneel, bend at both the waist and knee, reach with the arms over the head, and hear, both on the telephone and in person, using regular conversational tones; vision requires the ability to focus and read printouts, computer, screens, and other written material.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference check, drug testing and job-related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude the employee from performing the work.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The Town of Pecos City provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.