Please view the job descriptions by clicking on the Job Title below.
To download an employment application please click here.
Municipal Court Clerk
- Type:Full Time
- Posted Date:09/10/2019
Provides administrative support for the Municipal Court Judge and Associate Judge. Files legal documents submitted to court for adherence to law or court procedures. Files forms to parties in cases involving traffic fines, misdemeanors, ordinance violations, and other cases in the court’s jurisdiction. Provides customer service to the public; processes court documents, fees, and fines; prepares assigned court documents; assists in scheduling/coordinating court proceedings; provides staff support to the Judge and/or other court personnel; and performs other related duties.
Other duties may be assigned by the Municipal Court Judge and Finance Director.
Reports to the Finance Director and Municipal Court Judge.
Exercises autonomy and sound judgement over daily tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential and other responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Provides customer service to the public in person and via telephone:
- Responds to various types of court/case related inquiries; provides information regarding court policies and procedures.
- Receives, processes, documents, and receipts payments for court fees and fines; balances and maintains assigned cash drawer.
- Assists the public with various types of requests including but not limited to court dates, payment plans, and/or deferred disposition.
2. Conducts court-related clerical support duties:
- Processes various types of court documents including but not limited to complaints, affidavits, warrants, citations, requests, and motions.
- Schedules and coordinates court proceedings; notifies participants.
- Prepares assigned court dockets.
- Processes and replies to correspondence via mail, email and fax.
- Enters, updates, and maintains case file information.
- Prepares and sends out jury summons notices.
- Generates disposition and/or other assigned reports.
3. Provides staff support during court proceedings:
- Retrieves case files and other documentation required by prosecutors.
- Responds to inquiries from the Judge regarding individual cases.
- Provides defendants with appropriate case file documentation.
- Prepares paperwork pertaining to the Judge's orders.
- Answers incoming calls; performs data entry, filing, and other routine office duties.
- Assists in maintaining court forms and office supplies as assigned.
- Performs other routine and/or specializes duties as required.
High School Diploma
Or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor degree in Business Administration.
Prior Experience in government or law enforcement administration
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
Must be able to read and comprehend court policies and documents.
Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments and personnel, outside agencies, law enforcement and legal personnel, defendants, and the general public.
Must hold and maintain a valid Texas State Driver’s license with an acceptable driving record
One (1) year clerical experience is required.
Certification as a Level I Certified Court Clerk is required within two (2) years of employment.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Personal computer, including word processor, spreadsheets, financial software, 10-key calculator, phone, copy machine, fax machine, etc.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, hear and manipulate objects. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those and employee typically encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is typically quiet.
This is an FLSA Non-Exempt position. Work is generally completed on a regularly scheduled basis with the normal workweek being 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, however additional work to meet deadlines or attend evening meetings may be required.